Examination assignment - Writing a essay
In this first examination you will produce a essay. Follow this link below to get a grip of what a essay is and what we expect from you. The text is in Swedish.
- The essay is preferable written in Swedish
- The format should be pdf or md (markdown)
- The essay should be published in your examination-01 repository created for you in the course organization on GitHub
Subjects to choose from
In this assignment you are pretty free to choose your own subject but we have some restriction about the area. Of course it should have a connection to the web and web science. There will be a couple of categories of subjects to choose from as follow below. We have tried to add some plausible questions to get you start thinking and working to get a question that interests you. It will guide you into some kind of question to work against
Big Data through the web - Opportunities and challenges
- The biggest collective information source in mankind. How to use it to make good?
- Big data technologies to handle the stream of web data.
- Is data the new oil?
- How could algortims come to change our life - for good? For bad?
- Can algorithms fail when handling big data.
- Quality of Service - Should some web traffic be prioritized?
- Is the web for everyone?
- Is the web many fragmented islands?
- Censorship or free speech - Can you say what you want on the web? Could it lead to problems?
Crime on the web
- Dark side of the web. Is it a problem?
- How do we implement laws on the web? Should we or is the web something different than "the real world"?
- Hate crimes vs. the right to be anonymous
- Will the third world war be on the net? Cyber terror
Everything/Nothing is free on the web
- What happens when Facebook is the web for most people - Site silos? Filter bubbles?
- What could happens when all your information search is driven from Googles search engine algorithm.
Democracy on the web
- Open data through the web - How could it help us?
- Collaboration through the web.
- Electronic human rights
- The web and it role in development countries
- The web as a university - The ability to shape your own knowledge
- The Blockchain and trust as software
- Etherium and smart contracts in relationship to traditional web development
- Etherium as the worlds first global computer - What to expect?
- Conversation as a platform / Chat as an interface
Your written essay will go through a peer-review done by one of your class mates. This means that you also will get an essay to read and to give a peer-review. This is also a part of the examination and you should send your peer-review comments to your class mate (as feedback) and also post your comments to the examiner . The examiner will go through both the peer-reviews and the written essay when grading your assignment. The grade is A to F following the following criteria:
A: The student has clearly gaining knowledge of her/his subject. The reflections have a solid reference back to high quality articles. The language in the essay is perfect and the essay is a interesting reading where the student submits her/his own thoughts in a grounded way. The student follow the directions regarding the formal presentation of the essay. The student is giving valuable feedback to it´s peer-review where the student clearly show understanding of it´s peers work.
C: The student show knowledge of her/his subject. The reflections have a solid reference back to articles. The language in the essay is good where the student submits her/his own thoughts in grounded way. The student follow the directions regarding the formal presentation of the essay. The student is giving valuable feedback to it´s peer-review where the student show some understanding of it´s peers work.
E: The student show some of her/his subject. The reflections have a solid reference back to articles. The language in the essay is tolerable where the student submits her/his own thoughts in grounded way. The student follow the directions regarding the formal presentation of the essay. The student is giving feedback to it´s peer-review where the student show some understanding of it´s peers work.
Fx: The essay is not up to the standards for passing but could be complemented for a grade of E or D. F: The essay is not written or not close to passing and the student should redo her/his work
First deadline for peer-review process is 6/2 08:00. That means that your essay should be published on your repository at this time for further peer-review.
Those of you that miss the deadline will get a new chance by publish it in your repository at latest time 6/3 08:00 and there will be a new peer-review round.
Those of you who miss this second deadline will have to wait for the next time the course is active.